8 Steps To Protect Your Roof This 4th Of July
Summer has arrived. It’s time to break out the BBQs, hotdogs and prepare for the fireworks show. However, according to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) on average, fireworks cause 18,500 fires each year. Not surprisingly, there are more fires reported on July 4th than any other day of the year. This is due to the fact that the debris remains burning as it falls after exploding. Although fireworks laws vary from city to city, it is wise to prepare your home regardless where you live.
What can you do to protect your roof and everything under it, including your loved ones?
1) Clean your roof of any debris. Dried branches, pine needles and even dried moss make great kindling.
2) Clean the gutters and downspouts to ensure your roof system is clear of any potential hazards and working properly.
3) Make sure if you are using any of the low-cost blue tarps from box stores on or around your roof or home, they are removed prior to any firework activities. Some tarps are highly flammable.
4) Use a hose or sprinkler to soak your roof prior to any firework activity. It will be harder for a wet roof to ignite.
5) Move the fireworks out of your driveway and as far from your home as possible.
6) Make sure there is water and a hose at the ready while you are celebrating.
Alternatives to endangering your roof:
7) Go to a professionally run show instead of putting one on yourself.
8) Gather your neighbors and plan firework-free alternate activities.
If these steps seem daunting, give us a call we can help prepare your roof.
Be safe and enjoy your summer!